Disputes at work such as race discrimination, sexual discrimination and wage disputes are all common issues at the workplace and at times, they may even spiral into legal disputes. If you find yourself faced with any such issue, then you need to hire an experienced employment lawyer who can protect your interests. Here are some tips to help you hire an employment lawyer who can effectively represent the case for you.
How to hire an employment lawyer
- Speak to your family and friends and see if they can recommend a competent employment lawyer. Ask co-workers who have had similar employment disputes to know if they can refer you to a good lawyer. Ask for further information such as how much experience they have, where they studied, and the like.
- Contact your State’s Bar Association. State Bar Associations generally offer a referral system that will offer a list of lawyers who have experience in the specific field that you are looking for. Ask for the details of lawyers who specialize in employment law within your area.
- Shortlist a few lawyers from all the recommendations that you received and the lawyers obtained through the referral system. Contact the shortlisted lawyers and arrange an appointment with them. Ensure that you do not have to pay for the first consultation.
- During the first meeting, ask them about their experience in handling similar employment disputes. You can also request them to give you the contact details of previous clients so that you can contact them. You can also ask them about their participation in different employment law activities.
- Availing the services of employment lawyers Los Angeles can be quite an expensive affair, so calculate the costs involved. Enquire if the attorney you meet works on a contingency basis or on hourly rates. Ask for an estimate of the total fees and costs.
- Trust your instincts. Go for a lawyer who you are comfortable with. He/she should be compassionate, should carefully listen to your issues and be one who can put you at ease.
- Cross check with your State’s Bar Association to see if the employment lawyer you plan to hire is licensed and if he/she has not been involved in any unethical practices.
You now know how you can hire an employment lawyer. For more info on employment lawyers Los Angeles, their duties and their fees, check legal resources that are available online.Google+