If you dream of becoming a criminal defense attorney, then you should also know that the road to getting there is long and rigorous one. Not everyone can become a defense attorney, and passion alone won’t suffice; it requires intense hard work, dedication, time, and a lot of patience as well. This article gives you a few tips to help you achieve your goal.
- To become a criminal defense attorney in Los Angeles, it is absolutely necessary that you get a bachelor’s degree. This is required in order to be able to get into a law school. Individuals who wish to get into law school should qualify for the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT).
- Get into a law school of repute. Here, focus on the classes that relate to your field. While criminal law and procedure classes are a must for all students, aspiring criminal defense lawyers should also attend classes on trial advocacy, appellate practice and criminal practice.
- Make sure you go for a criminal law related internship. The ideal choice would be to work for a public defender’s office, a legal aid society, prosecutor’s office or an appellate practice. A brilliant alternative to this would be to work for judicial clerkships, especially if the judge hears criminal cases.
- The best way to become a brilliant criminal defense lawyer is to work on the other side as a prosecutor. So try to get a job as a prosecutor. One major advantage about working as a prosecutor is that you start gaining experience almost immediately, and get to learn a lot besides. The job maybe demanding, but the experience gained through the process would be invaluable.While working for the state, you can also obtain insights into the police procedures and court room protocols.
- Try to get a job in criminal defense. This way, as soon as you pass the bar, you can start working as a defense attorney, and can leave aside working as a prosecutor. Work with an experienced defense lawyer in order to gain knowledge about the local practices and procedures.
These are some tips to help you become a successful criminal defense attorney in Los Angeles. Of course, these are only tips, and it’s arguably better to go in for career counseling options before you even decide on what job to work.Google+